Here is an Imperialism Project. Be sure to follow all the directions. You may work with one other person. This project is due at the beginning of the next class period in which it was assigned.
Click on the link below and read 19.1, 19.4, and 19.6. Answer the questions at the end of each reading. Please submit your answers to Schoology.
- What was the factory system?
- How and why did it originate?
- What was it intended to do?
19.4-A Defense of the Factory System
- How does Andrew Ure defend the Factory System?
- What specific points does he address?
- Are his arguments persuasive? Why or why not?
19.6-Luddism: An Assault on Technology
- What does the author postulate as having been the origins of Luddism?
- What is the author’s position, and what arguments does he bring out, pro-and-con, concerning the Luddites?
- Does the author view the Luddites as criminals or victims? Explain.
For each of the following readings, answer the questions found at the end of each reading. The answers will be due at the start of the next class period.
12.3-Women in Ottoman Society: Oigier de Busbecq
12.4-The Ottomans: Empire-builders at the Crossroads of Three Continents
12.6-Shah Abbas the Great: The Resurgence of the Persian Empire
Documents in World History
To use the documents, click on the one you want on the table of contents page.
Here is a reading on Peter the Great. Answer the four questions at the end of the reading and submit to schoology. Responses are due at the start of the next class period.
Here is the reading guide for chapter 21. This is labeled ch 18, but it is for chapter 21. Disregard the pages. The maps are on page 481 and 332. This reading guide is credited to Ms. Hou from RGHS.
Here are three readings for Chapter 20. Please answer the questions that go with each reading. This assignment will be due at the beginning of the next class period.
Appeal to the King of Portugal
What exactly is the complaint of the King of Kongo? What seems to be the impact of Portuguese traders (factors) in the Congo? What does King Affonso want the King of Portugal to do?
What were the ways Bosman received slaves? Which method does he prefer? What are the comparisons of Dutch ships and those of other Europeans?
How was slavery in Africa different from slavery in America? What were the worst aspects of the Atlantic slave trades according to the author? Why does Equiano address his audience as “nominal Christians”?
In your group answer the following questions on Latin America.
- In what sense can it be said that the nature of the Latin American colonies was simply a reflection of Iberian society? Be sure to address at least 3 different characteristics (cultural, political, religious, economic, etc)
2. Compare and contrast the colonies of Spanish America with Portuguese Brazil.
3. Compare Latin American labor systems with either Russian or feudal European practices.
4. Compare the Spanish conquest of the Americas with one of the following…
-Post-Classical Arab conquest of the Middle East
-Classical Roman conquest of the Mediterranean world
-Mongol conquest of the Eastern World
5. How did Latin American demography and environment change from Pre-Columbian times through the era of Spanish/Portuguese colonization?
Here is the Ch 19 reading guide. This is aid in the chapter and help with quizzes, tests, and essays. This reading guide is credited to Ms. Hou from RGHS.