Here is the PowerPoint for ch 15. Be sure to read through this and take notes. You will be able to use notes on the ch 15 quiz.
Here are the next chapters for A History of the World in Six Glasses. Read the chapter and answer the accompanying questions. The questions will be due on Nov 21. There will be a quiz on the two chapters at that time.
- What factors led to the possibility of producing wine in Greece?
- Where did wine become an important drink?
- How did the Greeks influence Western civilization?
- How did the Greeks judge how cultured a person was?
- What was the importance of the symposium? How did it influence Greek culture?
- What was Plato’s view of democracy? How did Plato’s symposium differ from others?
- What do archaeologists know about the influence of Greek culture?
- Explain the importance of wine in the transmission of Greek culture throughout the Mediterranean and Asia. This should be a longer summary response of 1-2 paragraphs, covering the material of the entire chapter.
- How and in what ways did the Romans adopt the Greek culture?
- What other crops were sacrificed in order to produce wine?
- Compare the Roman convivium to the Greek symposium.
- Compare the ways in which Christianity and Islam viewed the drinking of wine.
- How was Europe divided over beer and wine drinking?
- What impact do the Greek and Roman cultures have on modern American and European cultures? This should be a longer summary response of 1-2 paragraphs, covering the material of the entire chapter.
Here is a reading for Mesoamerica. Please answer all questions.
1. What passages are indicative of the “glorious” or sacred view of warfare?
2. Do any other sentiments come out in the war songs? If so, what are they and how are they expressed?