Here are the next two chapters for Six Glasses. The questions are due Feb 21 at the beginning of class.
Chapter 5: High Spirits, High Seas
Note: This chapter begins with events in the postclassical era (the Arab caliphates) and continues through to the
Early Modern Era of European exploration, and to “Modern Era” events such as the American Revolution.
- How did ancient Arab achievements led to European exploration?
- What led to Prince Henry the Navigator’s becoming the mastermind of European exploration?
- Explain the early cultivation of sugar and why it became important during this time period—what is the connection between spirits, sugar and slaves?
- Explain how Africans became enslaved by Europeans.
- Explain how rum played a role in Europe gaining world power. This should be a longer summary response of 1-2 paragraphs, covering the material of the entire chapter.
Chapter 6: The Drinks that built America
- Explain why England wanted land in the Americas, and why rum played a role in the American Revolution.
- Why did whiskey replace rum as the American drink?
- What were the causes and effects of the Whiskey Rebellion?
- What role did spirits play in the treatment of Native Americans?